Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know
Iowa Disability Benefits Network

Work & Benefits

If you receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you or your representative must promptly report any changes in work activity.


Graphic shows image of the numbered list on this page.


Changes in Status

You must tell your local Social Security office right away if:

  1. You start or stop work;

  2. You already reported your work, but your duties, hours, or pay have changed;

  3. You start paying for expenses that you need for work due to your disability.

You can report changes in your work activity by phone, fax, mail, online, or in person. Call toll-free number 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or you may call, visit, or write your local SSA office.

If you receive SSI, Social Security also offers a toll-free automated wage reporting telephone system and a mobile wage reporting application. For more information about these electronic wage reporting methods, please visit or call toll-free 1-800-772-1213 and ask Social Security how you can report wages using the system or application.

When you report changes in your work activity, SSA will give you a receipt to verify that you have properly fulfilled your obligation to report. If they do not give you one, ASK for one. Keep this receipt with all of your other important papers from Social Security. Also, save your paystubs so that SSA can verify your monthly earnings, and any deductions from earnings that may be allowed.


  File INSTRUCTIONS for Wage Reporting.pdf